Step 1 - Let us Help you Notify the Credit Bureaus 

Report ANY incident if a result if IDT or if not then any INACCURATE, INCOMPLETE, OR UNVERIFIABLE information in writing to the three major credit bureaus and ask them to place a "fraud alert" if IDT on your credit report or other wise ask for a correction to your credit report. Also, get copies of your credit reports so you can see if any additional fraudulent activity has occurred or if any INACCURATE, INCOMPLETE, OR UNVERIFIABLE information has been recorded. As to IDT Ask for a victim's statement requiring any creditors to contact you before opening new accounts or making changes to any existing accounts.

The Fraud Number are below: 

Equifax To report fraud: 1-888-766-0008  

TransUnion To report fraud: 1-800-680-7289 

Experian To report fraud: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) 

Step 2 - Call Your Creditors and Banks 

Contact the fraud department of each of your creditors both telephonically  and in writing. Examples include your credit cards, utilities, cable bills, car payment and report the fraud even if your account at that institution has not been tampered with.   You can use the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft Affidavit, a standardized form used to report new accounts fraudulently opened in your name.  The company may also have their own form which you can use. As to INACCURATE, INCOMPLETE, OR UNVERIFIABLE, reporting write a detailed dispute letter that complies with the FCRA so as to put the bureaus and furnishers in substantial notice. 

If you believe your checks have been stolen or improperly used, contact your bank or credit union and place stop payments on them. Also, cancel your checking and savings accounts and obtain new account numbers. Also, you can Contact the major check verification companies and request they notify retailers who use their databases not to accept your checks: TeleCheck 1-800-710-9898 or 927-0188; Cetergy, Inc 1-800-437-5120; Call SCAN at 1-800-262-7771.

Step 3 - Report it to Law Enforcement 

Contact your local police department or sheriffs office in the same location where the IDT occurred to file a IDT report. Provide as much documentation as possible and include a IDT affidavit. Make sure to request a copy of the police report so that you can use it to dispute debts that have been placed on your credit report by the IDT.  This step is not necessary if the information on your report is INACCURATE, INCOMPLETE, OR UNVERIFIABLE but not due to fraud. That would be a civil matter that can be resolved in the Federal Courts through first a proper dispute and if necessary a law suit to correct the errors. 

Step 4 - Additional Steps to take if your have been the subject of IDT...
  1. File a complaint with the FTC's Identity Theft Clearinghouse Call the toll-free hotline at 1-877-IDTHEFT or complete an online complaint form

  2. Flag your Florida Driver's License. Call 850-617-2405. You will be asked to submit your request in writing to: Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles DDL/BDI - Fraud Section, Room A327 Neil Kirkman Building Tallahassee, FL 32399-0570

  3. Get assistance through Florida's Fraud Hotline 1-866-9-NO-SCAM (1-866-966-7226). Trained advocates can help provide additional resource information in your area.

  4. Check your Florida criminal history information. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) can provide a Compromised Identity Review.  If a fingerprint check determines you are an identity theft victim, FDLE will work with local law enforcement agencies to attempt to clear fraudulent data from the criminal history files and provide you with a Compromised Identity Certificate.

  5. Remove your personal identifiers from Florida court records.

  6. Any person has the right to request the Clerk or County Recorder to redact/remove his or her Social Security number, bank account number, credit, debit or charge card number from an image or copy of an Official Record that has been placed on such Clerk's/County Recorder's publicly available Internet website, or in a court file.

  7. If you believe your personal information appears in a publicly available record, contact your County Clerk's Office to initiate a request. For the State of Florida Clerk Directory go to: http://www.flclerks.com

  8. Report Mail Theft to the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

  9. Report Passport Fraud to the U.S. Department of State.

  10. If your passport is lost or stolen or you believe it is being used fraudulently, contact your local Department of State field office. For more information go to: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/lost-stolen.html

  11. Protect your Social Security number.  To check for inaccuracies or fraud, order a copy of your Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement (PEBES) from the Social Security Administration. Call 1-800-772-1213 or visit www.ssa.gov.